I spent my time putting the sides together of the guitar. I also started on the kerfling.....which is much easier this year because we're using the bandsaw.
With the help of Tony and Gary, I managed to put the thing together.
I'd like to dicuss a bit about the bending.
- Before we could begin any type of bending, Gary had to bring the wood to the thicknessing machine and bring the wood down to a certain thickness. It was a lot thinner by the time Gary had finished with it, this was to make the bending of the wood a lot easier.
- I then soaked the 2 pieces of wood in water until they were both saturated. I also got the iron ready and out my gloves on.
- Using the gloves, I held the first side to the iron, rocking it back and forth to get the heat into it.
- When it is hot, you hold the pressure and you'll get the bend that you desire in it.
- Take it way from the iron, holding it in place and measure it up against the form to see if the shape is the same.
- Keep at this for both pieces of wood until you get the desired shape.
- Tony told me that I was developing a skill while doing the iron, He said it was a very "hands on" kind of job, where one has to feel when the wood is yielding to the pressure, you exert before applying more pressure.
- He told me to watch my gloves, as they seemed to be hitting off the iron and they could stick to it.
- Also he said be careful not to burn the wood.
- It was a long process as you have to get both sides exact, but it's a process that I enjoyed because it was something new and different.
No comments:
Post a Comment