Hey my name is Sarah and I'm currently studying Business with Music & Instrument Technology in AIT.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Instrument Technology '07

Well we’ve just finished our first semester in Instrument tech and what a tough few months it has been.

Tough as it was I think we all have achieved a lot over the past few months or at least I like to think we have, especially if you never did woodwork in your life!!
I have to say I struggled at the beginning but I did improve (if only a little..) by the end of the first semester.

On our first day we were shown around the workshop and we were introduced to both the hand tools and machine tools. It al
l looked pretty okay until we started those dreaded assessments!!

We didn’t have that much time and a lot of us felt rushed when it came to putting the finishing touches to some of the pieces. I must say though our very last assessment (music stand) worked out quite well. I was pleased with how mine turned out anyway.
Apart form the music stand we made clamps, a CD rack and a tin whistle.

I must say I enjoyed our first semester of Instrument technology, it is a lot of hard work but once you actually get down to making the piece and make it right, you do feel a sense of achievement. I also liked the fact that half way through the first semester we got a chance to do a bit of metal work, which I really enjoyed.




Next semester we hope to make a Mandolin. It looks like a lot of hard work but giving the time length we have been issued with, I’m sure everyone’s will turn out alright…..I hope so anyway!!

No comments: